- Track your orders
- Save your details for express checkout
Check out the top tips below to decide if a dehumidifier is the best solution to solving your home's moisture problems.
As the steam rises during your shower, it should be ventilated out of the space with an exhaust fan. If you lack the necessary ventilation, excess moisture may start to collect, which in turn, may create a breeding ground for toxic black mould.
Look at the ceiling in your bathroom or garage as well as the area around your toilet or surrounding the shower. Do you see little dark spots? If you do, you have a mould problem.
If your ventilation doesn’t effectively remove the moisture you could also run a dehumidifier to lessen the amount of moisture that hangs around in the room. Remember it’s easier to address the issue with a few mold spots than to wait for it to spread.
Do the windows of your home have beads of water on them? Or is there a vapour or fog on the glass? This can happen when a room has too much moisture.
A dehumidifier can combat the moisture and restore the humidity in your home to its appropriate levels. Any excess moisture in your home, especially if it is visible and gathers on a resting place such as windows, can become a breeding ground for mould.
A musty smell nearly always means that mildew and mould are present. These both thrive on moisture, which starts to collect in areas like bathrooms and garages when windows are not sealed correctly.
A dehumidifier is great at removing excess moisture from the air that could cause the musty smell from returning.
Lastly, if you have significant trouble with your allergies, it may be due to your indoor air quality. Excess moisture in the air can cause airborne allergens such as dust mites and mould spores to grow and spread. Sometimes allergy sufferers are even more susceptible to indoor allergens than outdoor, making it even more important to make sure you’re breathing clean air.
Try running a dehumidifier to remove allergens from the air you are breathing to see if it helps. Maintaining a healthy humidity level in your home can also help prevent chapped lips and many serious respiratory issues.